Friday, June 25, 2010

Lazy laptop viewing review: Alexander (2004)



I am a fan of epic/historical movies (my favourites are Gladiator and Braveheart) so recently I watched this one called Alexander. Lets get the details over with first.
Title: Alexander (2004)

Director: Oliver Stone

Stars:

~Colin Farrel: Alexander~

~Angelina Jolie: Olympias~


~Jared Leto: Hephaistion~


~Val Kilmer: Philip~


~Anthony Hopkins: Old Ptolemy~


~Rosario Dawson: Roxane~

Basic plot:

Ptolemy narrates the amzing life and loves of Alexander the Great, King of Macedonia and ruler of most of the known world. From a young age Alexander dreamt of of being truly great. Domineered by an ambitious mother, Olympias and always hungering for attention from his father, Philip, he grew to be more than that, he became a legend. His ambition and fearless propelled him to great heights but was also the shackles that dragged him down. His love for his best friend Hephaistion and his wife Roxane only served to add coal to the fire.



What I liked about this movie:

  • The acting is superb. The cinematography is breathtaking.

What I disliked about the movie:

  • There are times when the movie became a bit slow and it was hard to keep track of all the players esecially with all those ancient Greek names to remember.
  • Beware of nudity. The 'first night' scene between Alexander and Roxanne. Seriously, that woman's breasts were bigger than ripe watermelons! I can't believe it's the same girl from MIB II.
  • Call me homophobic if you will but the "love" scenes between Alexander and Hephaistion had my skin crawling even though they were nothing more than long-winded love talk and a lot of hugging. Nothing can make me feel good about same sex love/lust.

A quote I liked from the movie:

"The dreamers exhaust us, they have to die before they kill us with their dreams"


Rating:
3/5 (All in all it was a good movie, it just fell short of the mark)

*all pics Googled


||PICK OF THE DAY||

I check my nuffnang account daily (regardless of the small amount that currently awaits me). I do get curious about my options but like Eryqazz, I think I'm gonna stay loyal and true. Check out his thoughts on it.




LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails