Saturday, May 1, 2010

I am too


I moved around alot when I was a kid. By the time I was 16 I had spent more than half my life overseas and had never stayed in one place for more than 4 years. Instinctively, I had learned to adapt no matter where I found myself and yet never became too attached because the possiblity of being uprooted again was very real.

Tomorrow, there will a reunion of ex-skudai students born in 1980. It's a group of people who went to school in the skudai area (primary school, secondary school and sekolah agama). An old friend suggested that I join the group. Initially, I was a bit reluctant. The thing is, I was at Sekolah Rendah Kebangsaan Sri Skudai for just over 3 years (Darjah 1- early Darjah 4) and only went to the sekolah agama for just over a year so I doubt that anyone would actually remember me.

Proof of which was a really funny and heated discussion that the administrators of the group had regarding.. well basically .. 'who the heck I was' ..hehe. Thankfully, my friend came to the rescue and vouched for my authenticity.

I'm sure that everyone will have an amazing time tomorrow, catching up with old friends and making new ones. Reunions are always fun. It's like a portal back to our youth. Where everyone can reminisce on how carefree and wild they once were.

I wish that I could go but I can't. Not this year, not this time. Maybe next year? Hopefully.

Stuff I remember most about SRKSS and Sekolah agama Batu 10:
  1. My best friend.
  2. Always getting no 1. So always sitting in front.
  3. Being class monitor and having to say "Semua bangun! Selamat pagi cikgu!"
  4. Cafeteria food. I loved the keropok lekor and begged my parents for a raise in my pocket money when they started selling half a burger for 50 cents.
  5. My heavy school bag. There was a steep incline at the school gate, used to be a torture to climb and always kept tripping over my shoes to go down.
  6. Being Penolong Ketua Pengawas (Darjah 4- afternoon session). My biggest duty was to guard the teacher's staircase.
  7. Being made to stand on a chair which was placed on top of a table because the whole class was noisy.
  8. The cucur udang sold behind the Sekolah agama. It was 20 cents. They would chop it up, put it in a plastic bag and drown it with the sauce. Heaven.
  9. Having to push our school van across a construction site, all our white uniforms were caked with the red clay that day.
  10. My best friend. (In the end, the first and the last thing I remember will always be the same)

So to all exSkudai80'ans , you may not know me, but I wish you all the best of luck! Have a great reunion. Don't forget to have another one next year... I wanna go!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails