Thursday, September 2, 2010

Dear John by Nicholas Sparks

Nicholas Sparks is one of my favourite authors. His book "The Notebook" is the only book that I have read 4 times (I rarely read the same book more than once) and is the only book that makes me cry each time. And I mean REALLY cry, I actually have to put the book aside and cry my eyes out and then only continue reading. The movie adaptation was also quite good. I also enjoyed "Message in a bottle" and "A walk to remember". However I was a bit disappointed with "A bend in the road" so I was excited to read another Nicholas Sparks book.


Basic Plot

John was the classic 'rebel without a cause', with his life in a downward spiral and no "future" he decided to enlist in the army, for lack of anything better to do. Stationed in Germany, he found army life non-remarkable. Everything changed when he was back in the States for his annual leave and he saw Savannah for the first time. Thus began an incredible story of love, separation and sacrifice. 

What I liked about this book

Have you ever read a book and felt all tingly inside? Nicholas Sparks has a way of making you actually believe in true love. You can almost feel the exact moment when his characters realize that they too have taken the plunge with no parachute. This book explored that sweet feeling of love at first sight and also long distance relationships. Are words and letters enough to convey true feelings, hopes and dreams? 

What I disliked about this book

The ending! I loved this book, despite the slight predictability of the storyline but I wish that it had turned out differently. 

A quote I liked from this book

"That's why I don't tell people about us. They wouldn't understand, and I don't feel the need to explain, simply because I know in my heart how real it was. When I think of you, I can't help smiling, knowing that you've completed me somehow. I love you, not just for now, but for always..." -Savannah Lynn Curtis

Rating: 4/5 

A sweet, romantic and lovely book. A must read for all die-hard romantics out there.

||BOOK CLUB||



As well as Dear John, I have also added another book to the library. Cathedral of the Sea by Ildefonso Falcones. One of the best books I have ever read. Wanna borrow these and more? Go to Hidayah's Book Club.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails