Friday, September 3, 2010

True love and Ayam Percik

Aishah surprising Mok Nik & Mek (my aunts)

Last weekend we went back to my kampung in Kelantan. Kampung Lubok Jambu, Kedai Mulong, Kota Bharu, Kelantan (to be more precise). Actually all of my uncles and aunts (on my mother's side) are living in Kelantan, and all my relatives on my father's side are in Sarawak. For some reason we have always been the only family living somewhere else.

Happy!

Ever since I was a little girl, our trips back to Kelantan have always been the highlight of my year. For some reason, time stands still when I'm at my 'kampung'. Even now, I look forward to my trips back as much as I did when I was a kid.

Preparing for a big family iftar


Currently, we still go back to visit my grandmother (my only surviving grandparent). She's 96 (I think) but still sharp as a pin. She stays with my mother's eldest sister Mok Nik.

Mok Nik is (in my opinion) the best cook in the whole world. She makes the best Ayam percik on the planet! Her ayam masak merah, gulai, solok lada are all amazing. Plus she is the only one that can make me eat Nasi Kerabu and ask for more.

Ayam Panggang


She is also one of the reasons I believe that true love does exist. Married 4 times (twice to the same man) she proved that although the road may be difficult, the destination is definitely worth it.

Initially married at 13 to a 16 year old student of my grandmother (she taught Quranic recitation), the marriage lasted less than a year since she was not ready. Her second marriage was ended by in laws who thought she was not worthy of their son. Her third husband was abusive and a total jerk. But in the end she re-married the love of her life (2nd husband) and they spent many happy years together until he passed away 2 years ago.

Mok Nik


Although she did not make ayam percik this time (just some delicious ayam panggang), I love seeing her happy with my kids. Watching her, I have faith that things will be ok in the end.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails