Monday, September 6, 2010

Raya Cookie Monster

My family has always been a bit unconventional about certain aspects of Hari Raya. Mostly about the preparations. Although almost everyone I know is probably busy baking Raya cookies right now, the only time I remember helping my mother make Raya cookies was when we were in Scotland. Since we got back, I think the abundance (and convenience) of ready made cookies, plus the fact that we keep getting free (huge) Hari Raya hampers means that there hasn't been a home-made cookie at my house since I was 9 years old! Oh, not forgetting the fact that we don't have an oven (shameful huh?).

I love 'biskut raya'. It's one of the things I miss most if we go back to Srawak for Hari Raya because over there they will serve 'kek lapis', and beautiful and delicious as they are I still feel as if something is missing. Therefore in anticipation of this Hari Raya, my good friend The Cookie Monster will conduct a short Hari Raya Cookies tour.

Me on Hari Raya ..hehe (source)



"Me wanna eat me 5 favorite cookies! COO-KIES! "

Mazola- I love these melt in the mouth peanut delights (source)


London Almond- Cookie/Almond/Chocolate, yummy! (source)

Samprit- Simple and delicious (source)

Sarang semut- Easy to eat (source)

Tart nenas- I prefer these over the 'gulung' version (source)

There are many more (especially nowadays), more colourful ones with strange and exotic flavours. But I'm not really a fan. I prefer the good old-fashioned ones. Hopefully my table manners are better than Cookie Monster though..hehe.

||BOOK CLUB||



Just added another great book to the library- The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd , first saw it on Oprah when she interviewed the awesome cast of the movie adaptation (Dakota Fanning, Queen Latifah, Jennifer Hudson and Alicia Keys). Want to borrow this book and more? Visit Hidayah's Book Club.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails