Thursday, April 8, 2010

Julie & Julia by Julie Powell


Not the same cover as the one I own, but I couldn't resist that cute egg whisk..hehe
Finally, I finished it! Reading this book was somewhat akin to the main character's Project because like her, halfway through it, was thinking despondently to my self, when will this end? The basic premise of the book was promising, an unfulfilled, bored 29 year old woman embarks on a life-changing journey of self-discovery via an ambitious and totally impossible culinary journey towards Mastering the art of French cooking before hitting the big 3-0.
The story revolves around her many disasters and triumphs both in and out of the kitchen. Unfortunately, I found it a bit hard to develop a real connection with the heroine (Julie). The book had some gems, and I did manage to dust off my French (plus learn how to murder a lobster- crustacean homocidal skills is always a plus), but it didn't make me want to jump off my seat and start cooking.
Another downside is the author's penchant for offensive language, sometimes it may be necessary or even spice up a book, but in this one, it just seemed to be ... well offensive. All in all, a slightly disappointing read although foodies and aspiring chefs will probably enjoy it because the recipes mentioned throughout the book do sound DELICIOUS although somewhat archaic. I think this might be the type of book where the movie will be better. With Meryl Streep and Amy Adams at the helm, a definite recipe for success.
Rate: 2.5/5

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails