Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Swapping lives by Jane Green



Basic plot

Two very different women living on opposite sides of the world find themselves living polar opposite yet picture perfect lives. Vickey Townsley is a single, successful, fashionable editor of Poise! magazine in London. Her 'no strings attached' life takes it toll as she starts pining for a family life in the countryside. Amber Winslow, a suburban housewife married to old money has it all. The gorgeous husband, beautiful kids, nanny, a mansion and dressed in designer labels all set to be Queen of Suburbia. Though at times all the social climbing and subtle backstabbing, leaves her exhausted. Through a unique contest hosted by the magazine, these women decide to swap lives for a month, and learn that the grass may not be greener while walking in each other's Jimmy Choos.

What I liked about this book

Firstly I love the fact that this book was a birthday gift bought for me by my room-mate Dr Mali at BookExcess. Chick lit is usually a genre I stay away from, so a dose of it once in a while can be refreshing. The book does afford a vivid glimpse at both the life of a single career woman and a privileged housewife. It also allows us to enter the vicious yet "refined" social climbing circles of suburbia, and the constant pressure of not only keeping up with the Joneses but leaving them in the dust. This is a good book for those who like this genre.

What I disliked about this book

As with most chick lit, I find the focus on fashion and men, not really my cup of tea (although I did learn alot about fashion). The plot dragged somewhat, and there did not seem to be any climax, though some twists did make the book an interesting read. All in all, it is one of the better chick lit books I have read.

A quote I liked about this book

Marriage should be about fun.

Rating: 3/5

CymLowell

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails