Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Aidilfitri 201: Part 22- A brother's sacrifice || Live blogging



This is my uncle Sakawi (we call him Yak Sakawi because he is the 4th in the family). When my father was young, the family was so poor that my late grandmother could not afford to send more than one child to secondary school at a time. So as soon they reached 13 or 14 years old, the elder one would have to make way for the younger one by dropping out of school to find work. My father is the 3rd in the family, when it came to his turn to quit school, my uncle volunteered to take his place though he was younger by a couple of years. At the time, the family could see that my father had a better chance to excel academically and maybe help the family out of poverty. So as a young teen, my uncle worked odd jobs and at a sawmill to put my father through school. Who knows where we'd all be today without his selfless act. May my children learn the meaning of love and loyalty too. Family, people bound by blood and held by love.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails