Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Nights of Rain and Stars by Maeve Binchy



Basic plot

Four strangers on holiday in picturesque Greece, all escaping from their problems and past, are thrown together after the sleepy seaside town of Aghia Anna suffers a great tragedy. Thomas, a professor from America, Elsa, a drop-dead gorgeous German journalist, David, a young man from England and Fiona, a nurse from Ireland find themselves quickly forming an easy friendship with each other and the locals. As the town bands together in sorrow, these visitors also find strength in themselves and each other to face their own internal struggles.

What I liked about this book

This is the second book I've read from this author, the first was Whitethorn Woods, and in both she has proven that the strength of a book lies not necessarily in a complex and fast paced plot, but in character development. Each and every character in this book is a person, with feelings, conflicts, hopes, desires and fears. The interaction between each character makes this book a very pleasant and feel good read. 

What I disliked about this book

I would have changed the ending, perhaps answered more questions or reunited more people. As laid-back as the book was, I was still hoping for a dramatic conclusion, but the author chose to end the book pretty much the same spirit as the book itself.

A quote I liked in this book

I don't know either, and I also hope. But remember, no looking back, no regrets, no comparisons.

Rating: 4/5

CymLowell

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails