Friday, October 8, 2010

The Street Philosopher by Matthew Plampin


Basic plot 

An art critic turned war correspondent for the London Courier, Kitson, witnessed unspeakable horrors in the Crimean war both on and off the battlefields. Years later, he yearns only for normality and becomes a 'street philosopher', reporting on gossip and the frivilous activities of the Manchaster elite. However, his dreadful past catches up with him and he is thrown once more into a dark abyss of revenge, murder, lust and avarice.

What I liked about the book

The author's research was impressive as he vividly paints the scenes of both the Crimea and Manchaster in the late 1800s. His writing style was very descriptive and I found the need to look up several new words to add to my vocabulary. The plot was interesting and eventhough the book jumps forward and backwards between 2 major events, this did not result in any confusion. Character development was also very good as each person in the book is very well established.

What I disliked about the book

The pace. As with most historical fictions, the story unfolded at somewhat too leisurely pace for me (especially given that I can only read a few chapters a day).

A quote I liked from the book

For what is art after all, he reasoned, but so many objects- objects that men will kill to possess?

Rating: 3/5

||A LITTLE EXTRA||

Alhamdulillah, this little personal blog reached has reached yet another milestone. The 300 follower mark. Thank you to all visitors,  readers, and followers for your continued support. I'm sorry that I can't hold a contest or giveaway to show my appreciation at the moment as I am currently swamped with my day job (blogging is stil just a hobby), maybe InsyaAllah one day when things are less hectic.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails