Saturday, October 6, 2012

Bossypants by Tina Fey (Audiobook)




I haven't actually picked up a book in over 2 months. For me, that is a very long time. It has been really hectic lately, and trying to squeeze in some recreational reading has been impossible. After prompting from both a close friend and my boss, I decided that I would finally give in and try listening to an audiobook.

I'm not exactly sure what I have against audiobooks but I guess it's mostly because growing up, I had always thought audiobooks were for children, really old people, the blind or illiterate. I realize now that this was a misconception. Audiobooks were in fact invented for people like me, people who love to read but simply do not have the luxury of "switching off" the rest of the world and doing so.

Deciding what my first audiobook would be was fairly easy. My friend recommended Bossypants and I thought it would probably be as good a choice as any. First of all, there are a few things I have to state. I do not watch 30 Rock. I know it's a breakout comedy that has a truckload of Emmys, and I have seen a few episodes. I find the humour too coarse and myself unsuited to watch it. Secondly, although I know who Tina Fey is I have not seen the Sarah Palin SNL sketch or watched her movie with that guy from The Office. So although, I knew who the author was vaguely, there really was no reason for me to listen to this book other than there was no other book in particular that I wanted to listen to instead.

I listened to this book early in the morning during my quietest but busiest time (5 am- 6 am) while I hung the laundry out to dry, ironed clothes and folded laundry. After 6am my house becomes a chaotic tornado of trying to get three kids ready before school. 

The experience was quite enjoyable. It was multi-tasking without feeling like an octopus. It was also nice that my quiet time was less quiet. 

The book itself was good. It was a biography of an interesting woman who was also funny. Of course, I did not agree with many of her opinions or views but her comic way of telling her own story was very enjoyable. Perhaps her greatest asset was her ability to make fun of herself. 

In the end I am glad that I tried this out despite my reservations. The only probable downside is, now the tiny voice in my head sounds exactly like Tina Fey!

Rating: 4/5

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails