Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Lessons from my father

As I sit and think and try to write down the many lessons he has taught me over the years, I find myself ill equipped to do so. The list is far too long and any jottings that I may eventually produce would surely not do him justice. My father is a remarkable man. I may be biased in saying this, but I believe it to be true. 

He started from the most humble of beginnings, as a poor boy in a remote village in Sarawak, but ended up a Professor Emeritus in his chosen field, still as humble as he was when he started. So perhaps, one of the biggest lessons he has taught me is never to give up, despite the odds. 

He treats everyone with the same respect regardless of their station in life. He is as comfortable among his peers as he is with his supporting staff and random people off the street. So perhaps, one of the biggest lessons he has taught me is to look beyond a person's title or exterior and recognize the value each person adds to my life.

He has never been one to make grand gestures of affection, instead often doing just little things to show he cares. Be it a gift from a foreign land or a bunch of fresh flowers from the local wet market. No matter where he is, he keeps his family with him. So perhaps, one of the biggest lessons he has taught me is to value my family, for they are my greatest treasures.

In truth, I have perhaps disappointed him in more ways than I care to mention. Surely, he wished a different life for his only daughter than the one I am living now. At this time when he deserves to sit back and do nothing, I have caused him worry and uncertainty. Even through this he has been my rock, unwavering in his trust that everything happens for a reason. As he held my hand when I first learned to walk, he must do so now, as I learn to walk again. So perhaps, one of the biggest lessons he has taught me is loyalty. That those who truly love us will never leave us.

Happy Birthday Abah


LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails