Saturday, February 4, 2012

Lost girls by Robert Doherty



Basic plot

Somebody messed up. Seriously. When a sniper team deep in the jungles of Colombia are left for dead while serving their country, nobody knows what really happened.
When a string of unrelated brutal murders and kidnappings occur, it seems that the story did not end in Colombia after all. What is worse than a psychopath? More than one. Who also happened to be military trained assassins with a thirst for revenge.
The only people who can stop them? An equally elite group of people who work for the Cellar. A division of the government that supercedes the other alphabet soup of CIA, FBI, NSA. They race against time to save innocent lives against a very well prepared enemy.

What I liked about this book

It was a thrilling read. The plot was very fast-paced and you could almost hear the countdown to the ending. The villains are exceptionally cold and calculating. The heroes flawed but skilled. The highlight of the book for me was Emily Cranston. A kidnap victim who refused to roll over and die. Her endless resourcefulness  and resolve in her valiant efforts to escape despite its futility had me rooting for her. Everyone would wish to be as determined as she was when faced which such a horrible situation. 

What I did not like about this book

Not much really. There were some moments when it felt as if I was reading a sequel to another book (which I find after Googling that I was). However, the writer managed to cover the back story well enough for this book to stand on it's own. The prequel was touted for it's amazing potrayal of strong female characters which was repeated to a lesser degree in this book. The intended female heroines were however outshined by the female victim and the stronger male lead character. I think I would have enjoyed this book even more if I had read the first book. Overall, it was still a very good read.

A quote I like from this book

"Because they're bad people, and bad always goes to worse."

Rating: 4/5

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails